Many presenters have provided us with handouts, presentation slides and other materials, which are available for download here. Linked text items below indicate there are handouts available for that particular session. We will continue to update this page as presenters provide us with their materials. All files are PDF unless otherwise noted.
Download Acrobat Reader
View the Attendee Roster Here
EARLY BIRD WORKSHOP
Thursday, Nov. 6 • Noon – 3 p.m.
- What’s New About Superintendent Evaluation? Get Your Answers Here
Don Wotruba, Deputy Director / Director of Government Relations, Donna Oser, CAE, Director of Leadership Development and Executive Search Services, Michigan Association of School Boards; Linda Wacyk, Director of Communications, Michigan Association of School Administrators; and Beth Carr, Director of District Partnerships, Learning Sciences
Friday, Nov. 7 • 9:45 - 10:45 a.m.
- Education Reform Case Law: How the 2011 Education Reforms are Playing Out
Joel Gerring, Assistant Legal Counsel and Kacie Kefgen, Assistant Director of Labor Relations and Legal Services, Michigan Association of School Boards
- How to Create a Grassroots Advocacy Group for Your Schools
Elizabeth Welch Lykins, Trustee, East Grand Rapids Public Schools; Christie Ramsey, Co-Chair, Friends of Kent County Schools; and Steve Norton, Founder, Michigan Parents for Schools
- Leaders of Learning: School District Leadership that Improves Student Achievement
Donna Oser, CAE, Director of Leadership Development and Executive Search Services, Michigan Association of School Boards
- Michigan School-Justice Partnership
Richard Dolinski, Founder and President Emeritus, The Legacy Center for Community Success; Judge Dorene S. Allen, Midland County Presiding Probate, Juvenile Judge and Chair of the Michigan Committee on Juvenile Justice, Midland County Probate Court; and John Searles, Superintendent, Midland County ESA
- OK2SAY — A Student Safety Initiative
Christine Coady, Presenter for the State of Michigan Attorney General’s Office OK2SAY—A Student Safety Initiative
- Putting the Pieces Together: Alternative Options for a School Within a School
Christy Knight, Student Advisor, Grand Blanc/CSS
- Raising the Profile of Skilled Trades
Naheed Huq, Leader, Plan Implementation, SEMCOG and Max McCullough, Board Vice President, Macomb ISD
- Reaching Today’s Teens Through Gaming Experiences
Bob Davis, CEO & President, Virtual Driver Interactive.com
Friday, Nov. 7 • 1:45 - 2:45 p.m.
- Building Coalitions to Support Children and Their Families
John Searles, Superintendent, Midland County ESA
- Critical Insurance Changes to Consider When Your District is in Financial Distress
Megan McNamara, Project Leader and Heather Menzies, Employee Benefits Account, SET SEG School Insurance Specialists
- From Admiration to Action: Closing the Racial Achievement Gap
Beverly Brown, Program Consultant and Theresa Saunders, Education Consultant, Michigan Department of Education
- Have You Ever Thought of Sharing a Superintendent?
Marlen Cordes, Superintendent, Bear Lake Schools and Kaleva Norman Dickson Schools and Jeff Jennette, Superintendent, Manistee ISD and Wexford-Missaukee ISD
- Healthy Governance in Times of Disruptive Change
Donna Oser, CAE, Director of Leadership Development and Executive Search Services and Debbie Stair, Board Development Manager, Michigan Association of School Boards
- What is Preventing You From Being a 100 Percent School: Addressing the Dropout Crisis in Michigan
Rob Belous, Dropout Recovery Advisor, Graduation Alliance
Saturday, Nov. 8 • 10:15 – 11:30 a.m.
- School-Parent Contracts: Partnering With Parents to Improve Student Achievement
Hussein Berry, Board President, Jill Chochol, Executive Director, Elementary Education, Aimee Schoelles, Board Secretary, Gail Shenkman, Associate Superintendent and Brian Whiston, Superintendent, Dearborn Public Schools
- Ten Strategies for Selecting a Successful Superintendent
Denny Patzer and Tom White, Executive Search Consultants, Michigan Association of School Boards
- The Four Dimensions of Instructional Leadership—What School Leaders Must Do To Improve Teaching Effectiveness
Colin Ripmaster, Associate Director, Michigan Association of Secondary School Principals
Saturday, Nov. 8 • 1:30 - 2:45 p.m.
- Breaking the Paradigm: Multi-Year Budgets Don't Have to be That Tough
Buzz Brown, Chief Operating Officer, Munetrix
- Child Nutrition Program Changes Continue
Lori Adkins, Nutrition Consultant, Oakland Schools and Kristen Hennessey, Director, Food & Nutrition Services, Plymouth-Canton Community Schools and Livonia Public Schools
- Integrated Student Support and the CIS Model
Jeff Brown, Executive Director, Communities in Schools of Michigan
- Making Superintendent Evaluation Work
Linda Wacyk, Director of Communications, Dr. Patricia Reeves, Associate Executive Director, Michigan Association of School Administrators; and Karen Cross, Senior Associate for Innovation and Business Development, Michigan Association of School Boards