Published Dec. 14, 2012
The NEOLA staff is working on the Volume 27 Number 2 Update, scheduled for release in early 2013. Topics that will be covered in the update include:
- American Flag/Pledge of Allegiance
- Concussion/Head Injury
- Drug and Alcohol Testing for CDL Operators
- Travel Expense and Reimbursement
Legislative activity, as always, is being monitored carefully. Further action by the legislature may add topics to this list that may result in new or revised policies for school districts to consider.
Publushed Oct. 16, 2012
The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) issued a guidance memorandum in August regarding changes under Section 22f of the State School Aid Act, PA 201 of 2012, which deals with best practices and rewards. In order to apply for funds under this section, the District must submit a resolution to MDE certifying District compliance with the identified best practice requirements.
Several of these requirements may be met by having certain policy and procedures (administrative guidelines) in place. The requirements in the law that may be addressed in policy are as follows:
A. Monitor individual pupil academic growth in each subject area at least twice during the school fiscal year using competency-based online assessments.
B. Support opportunities for all pupils to receive postsecondary credit while attending secondary school.
C. Offer online instructional programs or blended learning opportunities to all eligible students.
D. Provide physical education consistent with the 2003 State Board policy on quality physical education, or provide health education consistent with the 2004 State Board policy on comprehensive health education.
The Post Secondary (Dual) Enrollment Options Program policy—which addresses item B above—is included in the NEOLA October update and will be available on MASB’s ERiN website. Policy materials for the remaining items are under legal review in preparation for release in a Special Update, on or around Nov. 1.
Published Aug. 21, 2012
Work continues on the update package, with several policies and administrative guidelines added to the mix. As a result of client requests, recent legislative and audit activity, MASB and NEOLA are addressing topics and revising the following:
- Nondiscrimination and Access to Equal Educational Opportunity
- Nondiscrimination and Equal Employment Opportunity
As a result of recent Equal Employment Opportunity Commission/Office of Civil Rights guidance and directives regarding access to school facilities, the following policies are being created or revised.
- Criminal Justice Information Services Security. New policy and administrative guidelines will be provided in response to recent Michigan State Police requirements for policy and procedures associated with mandatory criminal records checks.
- Personal Communication Devices. In response to client requests and the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) initiatives, revisions are provided.
- Post-Issuance Compliance for Tax-Exempt and Tax-Advantaged Obligations. New policy and administrative guidelines will be offered due to client request.
- Access to District Technology Resources from Personal Communication Devices. Revisions are in response to technology changes and CIPA requirements.
Other topics that will be addressed in the near future:
- Dual Enrollment
- Federal Funds