Local businesses play an important part in supporting local public schools. This support is especially crucial as Michigan school districts face budget cuts, increased demands for accountability and a struggling economy.
To help members maintain and build upon this support, MASB has created a new program — the MASB Business Honor Roll. The program provides districts an opportunity to recognize local businesses and say “thanks” for their contributions. If there are businesses in your area that support your schools, MASB strongly encourages you to nominate them for the Business Honor Roll. Businesses help their schools in many ways:
- Supporting programs with in-kind or financial support
- Volunteering in schools and offering employees time off to volunteer
- Hosting company tours or sponsoring field trips
- Supporting extracurricular programs
- Offering internship and job-shadowing opportunities
- Serving as a mentor or tutor
- Delivering presentations to individual classes or assemblies
- Buying ads in event programs
- Donating to scholarship programs
These are just a few of the many ways businesses support schools, so don’t feel restricted to this list. There’s no limit on your selections, so any business you nominate that meets the criteria of support will be named to the Business Honor Roll.
If you’re working with a business that deserves recognition, your district can nominate them by passing a resolution (sample below) and submitting the nominee form by June 1.
In July, MASB will publish the Business Honor Roll in Headlines to highlight those honored through this program and send congratulatory letters to honorees.
Nominations for the 2013 Business Honor Roll Due June 1
2012 Business Honor Roll Packet
Sample Resolution - Word Document
Sample Certificate - Word Document
Sample Press Release - Word Document
Contact Peter Broderick at 517.327.5907, firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about this process.