2013 Annual Conference Materials
Many presenters have provided us with handouts, presentation slides and other materials, which are available for download here. Linked text items below indicate there are handouts available for that particular session. We will continue to update this page as presenters provide us with their materials. All files are PDF unless otherwise noted.
Download Acrobat Reader
Friday, October 25 • 9:45 - 10:45 a.m.
- Creating a Culture of Achievement in Middle and High Schools
Mark Westerburg, Superintendent, New Buffalo Area Schools
- One Voice, One Plan—Improving Results for All Students
Michael Flowers, Board Member, and Cindy Anderson, Assistant Superintendent of Instruction, Ingham Intermediate School District
- Public Safety Coordination Plan and Lock-Down Procedures
Scott Corbin, Board Member, Plainwell Community Schools, and Mike McKenzie,Emergency Management Director, City of Battle Creek Police Department
- Stories From the Field: The Nuts and Bolts of Successful Early College Programs
Susan Meyer, Dean, Early College of Macomb, Judith Pritchett, Ph.D., Chief Academic Officer, Macomb Intermediate School District, and Brian J. Whiston, Superintendent, Dearborn Public Schools
- Systemic School Reform
Dave Campbell, Superintendent, Kalamazoo RESA, and Dan Pappas, Associate Executive Director from Michigan Association of School Administrators
- The Key Work of School Boards: Governance to Improve Student Achievement
Debbie Squires, Member Services and Board Development Manager, MASB
- Trimming Costs for a Grassroots Millage Campaign
Lorri Rishar, CEO, Edge Partnerships, and Angela Witwer, Board Vice President, Waverly Community Schools, and Public Relations Consultant, Edge Partnerships
- You Too Can Successfully Implement a “Performance-Based Compensation Model”
Scott Moellenberndt, Superintendent, Blissfield Community Schools, and Daniel Garno, Executive Director of Staff Resources, Lenawee ISD
Friday, October 25 • 1:45 - 2:45 p.m.
- Five Practices of Exemplary Leaders: A Key to Long-Term Successful Board/Superintendent Relationships
Debbie McFalone, Ph.D., Educational Consultant, McFalone Consulting, LLC
- Healthy Kids, Healthy Michigan: Improving Student Achievement and Supporting Districts
Larry Cobler, Board President, Dexter Community Schools, Meg A. Thomas-Ackerman, Director, Safe Routes to School, Michigan Fitness Foundation, and Karen Krabill-Yoder, Project Manager, Coordinated School Health, (MDE)
- Online and Blended Learning, What Do You Want to Know?
Jay Bennett, Board President, Grand Ledge Public Schools, and Sales and Business Developer, Michigan Virtual University
- Understanding Your Coverage and Controlling Your Insurance Costs
Scott Fritz, Director of Employee Benefit Sales, Chadd Hodkinson, Account Executive, and Paul Grienke, Account Executive, SET SEG School Insurance Specialists
- What Does it Mean to be a Title One Focus or Priority School District?
Karen Ruple, Education Consultant, Statewide System of Support, Michigan Department of Education
Saturday, October 26 • 11 a.m. - noon
- Community Engagement—the Key to Support of Your Schools
Linda Wacyk, Director of Communications, Michigan Association of School Administrators, and Heidi Pfannes, Director of Marketing and Business Development, Kingscott Associates, Inc.
- Helping Leaders Create Systems of Accountability and Responsibility During Educational Change
Molly Funk, Educational Consultant, Coach and Trainer, Core School Solutions, and Stephanie Miller, Principal, Morse Elementary School, Troy Public Schools
- Legal Dos and Don’ts of Superintendent Searches
Brad Banasik, Legal Counsel/Director Bylaw and Policy, MASB
- Restorative Justice: Keeping Students in the Fold Through Supportive Discipline
David Gruber, Director, Dispute Resolution Education Resources, Inc., Cheryl Levine, Program Coordinator, Michigan Special Education Mediation Program, Linda Glover, Executive Director, and Greta McHaney-Trice, Restorative Justice Coordinator, Resolution Resources Center of Central Michigan
Saturday, October 26 • 2 - 3 p.m.
- Board and District Communications in Times of Crisis
Don Gansen, Owner, Gansen Consulting, LLC
- Considerations in Collaboration, Shared Services and Consolidation
Lawrence D. Lloyd, Retired Superintendent, MDE Consultant and Investment Advisor Representative, Williams & Company
- E-Learning Policy and Digital Equity: Challenges, Opportunities and the Re-Envisioning of Modern Learning Communities
George Chapp, Director, Curriculum and Instruction, Southfield Public Schools
- Go the Extra Mile to Serve Your Constituent Districts
Lisa Hagel, Superintendent, Cindy Gansen, Board Vice President, Lawrence Ford, Board Member, and Jerry Ragsdale, Board President, all from Genesee Intermediate School District (GISD)
- Integrated Student Services: Addressing the Needs of At-Risk Students
Jeffery Brown, State Director, Communities in Schools of Michigan